Wexford FC 1 United Treaty 1

EXFORD FC missed the chance to level Treaty United for fifth in the SSE Airtricity League Division 1 table, drawing with visitors Limerick at Ferrycarrig Park on Friday.

Ian Ryan’s side knew victory would give a strong start to their second half of the campaign and put them level for the final play-off spot, but they could only manage part of the spoils to leave Treated in the driving. headquarters.

With Bray also recording a creditable draw with Longford, it’s clear that the last remaining spot will be a battle between them and these two rivals, meaning the remaining 15 matchweeks will be fascinating.

The draw was probably the result right here, as Treaty had the best possession stats, got into lots of good areas around the box, but found he lacked a killer edge. Probably twice bitten, thrice timid, Wexford was happy to soak up the pressure this time around, looking to counter with pace at the other end.

It meant Wexford created arguably the best chances in the game, with the best falling on striker Aaron Dobbs when he volleyed a left-footed volley off target in the 29th minute with the goal completely empty.

Although combative, Wexford seemed to lack a bit of a change of game from the bench in the middle third of the pitch. Indeed, it was full-back turned winger Thomas Considine who looked the most likely of the first three substitutes to make a difference on the right, albeit fleetingly.

Arguably the biggest impact of a substitute came with Ian Ryan’s final bench introduction. He left it until the 83rd minute to bring on Dinny Corcoran, and the veteran almost provided the assist for a Jack Doherty winner that the Wexford forward really should have finished.

It’s odd that Corcoran’s introduction was so late, considering there were no injury concerns. Wexford lacked the kind of class he can provide in and around the box, and that suggests the Wexford boss was much happier with a point than he could admit in public.

And a point means that everything is to be played in the coming weeks. The next four matches give Wexford a fantastic chance to turn the screw in this play-off race, as they take on the three sides below them and also host Longford.

Something like an eight or ten point salvo would really turn up the heat among the Ferrycarrig faithful.

It would be nice to get some warmth somewhere in the Wexford venue as it was a cold and windy June evening which made pretty football very difficult for both teams returning from their mid-season break.

Perhaps the rust led to the quick start, with both teams on the scoresheet in six minutes.

In truth, it should have been Wexford who opened the scoring, as Jack Doherty put a potential opener on the plate for Dobbs in the second minute, but the Enniscorthy man’s effort was indecisive and weak.

The treaty countered right away and there must have been a sense of deja vu for the hosts. Former Wexford player Dean George snuck in to the right of the area and fired a shot past Alex Moody.

The keeper put his fingers on it and it went through his hands, so he might be a little disappointed that he couldn’t get it off.

Wexford didn’t panic and quickly equalised. Good persistence from Len O’Sullivan on the left wing created the turnover that worked for Dobbs.

Clearly determined to put the boot through this one, he dropped a ball that deflected a Treaty defender and beat Jack Brady.

There would be no more goals but it wasn’t for lack of trying. Initially it was United who looked most likely as a shot from Matthew Keane narrowly missed the corner of the bar and off the edge of the area Marc Ludden flashed after a pinball spot in the box from Wexford, and Conor Melody’s shot from eight yards out was narrowly deflected.

Wexford didn’t look good in that first quarter but led the last 15 minutes of the half. It all started when the goalkeeper and the defender clashed for the treaty on the half hour mark.

The ball fell to Dobbs, unmarked, with the goal at his mercy at the edge of the box but he panicked and caught the shot, waving aimlessly over the bar.

Dobbs was involved in a classy one-two with Conor Crowley which saw the Wexford midfielder loft above Brady’s advance but safe clear of the far post. Doherty went over the target as he swept away from the goal before crossing for Conor Davis to head into extra time.

After significant chances at the end of the half, the start of the second was a little more commonplace. However, the break had benefited Treaty, who now dominated possession and Moody was forced to spin a Joe Gorman header around the post in the 59th minute.

Doherty tossed a harmless header on the other end before Moody was again called into action, this time to stop Colin Conroy from wide range. Crying out for some changes to alter the game scheme came Conor Barry, Adam Wells and Considine for Wexford.

They didn’t make any major changes to the pattern of play, but Wexford adapted to treaty form and started to find joy again. Considine nearly broke through in the 76th minute, and the ball eventually came to Conor Barry but his touch was terribly heavy and the chance was gone.

Ten minutes from time, Aidan Friel sent in an inviting cross that Doherty flew over the top ten yards before Corcoran almost made an immediate impact, signaling Doherty in the clear only for the Clonmel man appears in the side net.

It was the last very good chance of the game. Moody nearly got caught off guard with a Gorman shot from his own half, but he raced to take control as the teams settled for a stalemate and a point apiece.

Wexford travel to the Cobh Ramblers this weekend to take on the Cork side, then they host a Longford Town side who aren’t exactly firing on all cylinders at the moment.

FC Wexford: Alex Moody; Aidan Friel (captain), Paul Cleary, Lorcan Fitzgerald, Len O’Sullivan; Conor Crowley, Luca Lovic, Harry Groome; Jack Doherty, Conor Davis; Aaron Dobbs. Subs. – Conor Barry for Davis (71), Adam Wells for O’Sullivan (71), Thomas Considine for Groome (71), Dinny Corcoran for Dobbs (83), also Paul Hunt, Luke Scanlon, Evan Farrell, Jordon Tallon.

United Treaty: Jack Brady; Joe Gorman, Mark Walsh, Jack Lynch (captain), Marc Ludden; Callum McNamara, Lee Devitt; Matthew Keane, Joe Collins, Conor Melody; Dean George. Subs. – Colin Conroy for Walsh (46), Joel Coustrain for George (76), Stephen Christopher for Keane (76), Jack Arra for Melody (84), also Conor Winn, Martin Coughlin, Scott Kirkland, Seán Oyibo, Josh Quinlivan.

Arbitrator: Oliver Moran (Dublin).



Cork City 16 12 3 1 35 8 39

Galway United 16 12 2 2 32 11 38

Waterford 16 10 2 4 35 16 32

Longford 17 8 5 4 23 19 29

Treaty Utd 17 4 8 5 20 25 20

FC Wexford 17 4 5 8 20 30 17

Bray O 17 3 8 6 15 25 17

Cobh Rblrs 17 2 3 12 21 44 9

Athlone Tn 17 1 2 14 18 41 5

About The Author

Related Posts