Matt Adcock pulled his arrow at full draw and released the arrow just as it touched the male’s vital signs.

“Snap!” the Swacker broadhead sounded as it struck the stag’s engine room a fraction of a second after its release. Nerves of steel helped him stay calm during his moment of truth.

The 13-point buck was a 10-point main frame with very good mass and had three divisions and weighed over 180 pounds.

Adcock, an archery hunter from Simpson County Academy, has been hunting deer from a young age, but he’s recently taken up bow hunting in quite a big way.

“I spotted the buck on my track camera last year, and he was an 11 point, and he had a hole in him,” Adcock said. “Maybe one of the neighbors shot him last year. When it showed up on my camera this year it had a lot more mass and was noticeably bigger. I modeled him for about a week and finally decided to follow him.

The male frequented a hardwood bottom with another mature 8-point male and a few smaller males. Adcock arrived at the bar around noon on October 2 and stayed overnight.

“I saw the other dollars that had been with the bigger buck but never saw it go by,” Adcock said. “I got out of my pit at nightfall and walked out onto the pitch and found myself face to face with him 30 yards away, but it was just too late to shoot. I couldn’t see him clearly enough to shoot or try to hurt him.

Sunday October 3 was to be a judgment day for the young hunter, but he had no idea how it was going to turn out.

“I walked in there the next afternoon, and the other males walked in, and spotted my target male about 100 yards feeding on acorns as he fed in my way.” , Adcock said. “The male was traveling through a pinch point in the acorn flat with a pine grove on one side and a thick, overgrown field on the other.”

The male never deviated, and his path to Adcock took him to his stand as if he was on an invisible rope. The moment of truth came when he stepped into an opening 27 meters away.

“I let the arrow fly and the male fled out of my sight about 70 yards,” Adcock said. “I called my dad and told him what had happened, and he said to ask Heath to help me look for the deer since he was nearby. We didn’t want to scare the deer away and push it further if it was still alive.

Heath Walters, of the Taylorsville area, is a well-known tracker who’s prize chocolate lab, Gage, has recovered many deer that have escaped hunters.

“We waited until about 8:30 am and took Gage up there, and Heath made him lose,” Adcock said. “The dog picked it up quickly and found it within minutes, and the male was already dead. It turned out that he fell dead right after the last place I saw him 75 meters from the killing zone.

Adcock’s father, Landry Adcock, was on a hunting trip out west and recommended that Matt ask Walters to help him retrieve the deer as a precaution, as they did not know the extent of the injuries. males at the time.

However, the Swhacker Hunting Head made a huge hole in the male as it passed, and the resulting blood trail was so great that there really was no need for a tracker dog, but it prevention is better than cure. The young archer’s aim was true, and his skill in sending the arrow plunging through vital signs was evident by the fact that the buck died within 100 yards of the shooting site.

Adcock is a grandson of Lee Littrell and also follows in his father Landry’s footsteps. Landry Adcock got into the hunt after marrying Littrell’s daughter Misty, and he passed on some of PawPaw Lee’s hunting skills to Adcock. Matt also plays on the Simpson County Academy football and baseball fields and is also a star baseball player in the summer leagues. He may be a more talented hunter than a ball player, but there is no doubt that he works hard on the playing fields as well as in the woods!

Call Mike Giles at 601-917-3898 or email [email protected]