Imagine two bloggers losing their minds rushing around the bases in a race. When they’re done, someone is worried enough * to consider calling an ambulance.
This is my take on the Hustle Double, a new feature I would love to try at Let’s Go Tribe. It will of course be hosted by our wonderful Académie des Sciences de la Bruant.
The concept is this: we are debating a question provided by the community, and the side that changes the most votes “wins” the debate.
The Hustle Double in more detail
- We are responding to a community debate question. It’s ideally something like, “Should the National League adopt DH?”, Or maybe “Is Kenny Lofton in the Hall of Fame?”. I’ll even allow “Is the sacrifice good” even though it’s the equivalent of shouting “DILDO” as a suggestion during an improv show. Don’t be Dildo Guy.
- Let’s say we get the DH question. When we announce the Hustle Double, we would be doing a poll to see what the public thinks right now. So, for example, we could see that 84% of people think NL should adopt DH, while 10% don’t and 6% are unsure.
- The sides are assigned at random. As an example, let’s say it’s time for a Showdown of the Matts to determine which of us is Matt # 1 and which is Matt # 2, regardless of what the Masthead suggests (COME AT ME BRO). I find myself facing the universal DH, while Lyon is given the side in support.
- We each have 250 words to make a first statement. We then go through two response cycles, where we
assess the merits of othdunk on top of each other. Answer 1 is 100 words, answer 2 is 50 words.
Here is an example, where I represent myself and Matt Lyons is represented by a bot.
Answer Round 2
Schlichting: It is true that the Universal DH leads to more scores. However, part of what binds us to the game of baseball is tradition, and the pitchers that keep hitting keep alive some of the past – and strategies like the double switch – as old as the game itself.
Bot Lyon: The kid who swung on the first pitch got hit on the kid who didn’t. The hitters just want to win. I think that’s what drives a lot of people to the game – the desire to be the beater for the winning round.
- We are leaving it to another community to vote with the same options as before. The winner of the Hustle Double will be determined by the entrant who has the most influence on opinion. In this example, the votes after our debate might show 90% for DH, 8% against and 2% uncertain. Lyons would appropriate the Matt # 1 coat in addition to winning a coveted Hustle Double title.
That’s the gist, and I hope I’ve explained it well enough that we don’t need to make our first Hustle Double debate the question, “Should we do Hustle Doubles?”
Therefore! What’s the first topic of debate you would like to see from the authors of Let’s Go Tribe? If we get a lot of interest, we can also organize matchups with the fans.
* You really had to think about it.